runaway

Go down

runaway

Post  virgodave on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:55 am

I am new to this team and I'm in my first team tournament, but I can see the big points the top player are geting. I think we have Got to fined a better way, the top 1/2 dont need the glory. But if I can help someone 100 points lower than me get better, the it's glory

virgodave
Admin

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: runaway

Post  robbo1970 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:12 pm

hi ya dave...i know what you are saying mate..

i am thinking of doing something something slightly differant for the top five point scorers..
maybe a blitz real time chess knockout ?

let us know your suggestions?

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-06-03

View user profile http://www.chesshere.com/team.php?id=316

Back to top Go down

runaway

Post  Rimrunner on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:32 pm

you cant really "blame" (if thats the right word) somebody for being very good at something, realisticly everybody who ented this tourney knew they had no chance of winning (except agmac and jh001)but maybe you get lucky and get a win against better player and thats a good feeling.The way i would do it is have 3 divisions based on ratings then have a knockout with everyone
Rimrunner

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-06-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  projectblue on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:05 pm

I think some sort of knock-out tournament would be better, maybe the top players should start without a queen Wink
projectblue
Admin

Number of posts : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  virgodave on Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:38 am

I still like the all play all. BUT, a beter scoring for the lower grade.

virgodave
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  agmac on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:16 pm

Yes...the scoring system, as it is, seems to favour the higher rated players. Perhaps it could be restructured so that a win would give the same points as your opponent's rating, a draw half your opponents rating and a loss nothing. To go one step further, in the case of a draw, the lower rated player only, should receive the points. This would go some way toward leveling the playing field.

agmac

Number of posts : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robbo1970 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:58 pm

good idea andy..i will go through all the scores in the next few days and see how it pans out mate..

Back to top Go down

Post  virgodave on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:13 pm

do you mined if I had a look at the score board and try to work somethink out

virgodave
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robbo1970 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:54 pm

sure dave...saves me a headache..lol....let us know what you come up with mate....

Back to top Go down

Post  virgodave on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:49 am

We hall have a team grade, let me start with something like this. thay can be moved up or down.
agmac grade 0 jhooi G1 shuddggun G2 sitter G2 virgodave G3 jocls G4 robbo G4 badwolf G5 cbllion G5 buzzwold G6 gramstone G6 leencadan G7 jww G7 projectblue G8 crackerkid G9 sicoll G9 rimrunner G9 biddbasher G9 michael G9 spacemonkey G10 cobraking G10 bealfiendul G12 rodrigos G12 sturge G13
genfish G13
Let us say agmac v sturge 13 points difference so

if agmac wins he gets 6 points for a win. If sturge wins he gets 6 for a win and 13 pointe = 19
if a draw agmac gets 3 and sturge gets 3 + 13 = 16

Let us say projectblue v virgodave 5 points difference so
if virgodave wins he gets 6 points for a win. if projectblue wins he gets 6 for a win and 5 = 11
if a draw virgodave 3 and projectblue 3 + 5 = 8
PLEASE tel me what you think. all the best Dave

virgodave
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robbo1970 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:36 am

to be honest dave it does not seem there would be any differance.
just smaller numbers..and if 2 players of the same grade play there would be no points..

the team tournament is mainly about the good and not so good players.meeting each other having a little fun.
learning from our better players...

but lets keep the suggestions coming for the next tournament...

Back to top Go down

Post  virgodave on Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:56 pm

Yes Dave your right, you still have to win to get the points, but y shud I get say 100 points for 1 win and you get say 75 points for a win agents the same player.

You and blue are doing a grate job of runing the team. I know it's not easy and there's no Quik fix.
I would like all the team to play in this. OK most won't win, but you will got to know how some play.
and what if you cum up with just one good move, it's a small victour but it's a start

virgodave
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robbo1970 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:54 pm

cheers dave... and im sure adam will be happy to know all his hard work as captain are appreciated when he gets back
from his coniston challenge(good luck adam) especially with the resent high numbers of timeouts

its like you said mate..somtimes if you have just the one good move against a strong player.
its a great feeling..

i have a sugestion dave....how about we offer unrated chess lessons to each other in the real time chess...
i am moderating there most nights and would be happy to help any of our lower rated players..

any player interested could post here and arrange to meet in the RTC room..say set the clocks to 30 mins..

Back to top Go down

Post  virgodave on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:43 pm

I will try to get on real time if the team want's that, I'm not good at real time, or if a team meber want's to send me a challenges unrated. If you want to try out that new opening on someone, then call it a draw.

virgodave
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robbo1970 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:36 pm

thats cool dave...i will ask adam when he gets back to message team mates and let them know help is there if they need it....

Back to top Go down

RE: Runaway

Post  sturge on Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:40 am

Hi all, I too am new to the team and this is my first tournament. I have seen a lot of very intersting ideas on here. I know for the second tournament some changes have been made to address the issue of higher ranked players getting more points. I do like the idea of 3 divisions and a knock-out but feel this would probably take up too much time. I entered the tournament not thinking I could win but being one of the weaker players rating wise I enjoy the challenge of playing better players and using this to improve my game in the long run. Yes I am happy that if I win against a better opponent I get more points but for me personally the best player who wins most games should be the winner.
I do think there needs to be some sort of handicap to allow the weaker players a better chance of gaining points but it really is quite difficult.
I think we need to see how the second tournament pans out with the new system and then maybe think of something new after.

sturge

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  projectblue on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:04 am

Some good thoughts and ideas on how we can score the next tournament, keep them coming and we can get something together ready for the third team tournament.

I have mailed all team members regarding Virgodaves offer to help team players who are not quite as good (myself included). If there are anymore team members who would also like to offer help to others please let me know and i will send another team mail.

PB
projectblue
Admin

Number of posts : 47

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rimrunner on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:23 pm

ive been playing virgodave over the last few weeks and its a great because hes online alot so you dont forget any ideas as you can get quite a few moves done in one session.also he will offer words of wisdom (which you can ignore and get proven wrong Embarassed).
Rimrunner

Number of posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robbo1970 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:55 pm

lol...nice one rim...so one of these days you just might listen then beat him yes...good luck mate

also if it helps..the new chat is excelent at chesshere..you can have it open in its own window
from the chess players talking link..then create your own room..and if you have a mircrophone or webcam
you can talk to each other in real time,,,

so that might help you rim...might be a bit harder doing something else with him shouting at you.. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  virgodave on Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:44 am

Thanks rim, sunny

virgodave
Admin

View user profile